Friday, March 24, 2006

I would rather hear it from my grandmother

An article in one of the daily papers in Malawi, The Nation says Malawi has recorded a reduction in poverty levels. According to the National Statistical Office, the percentage of people living below the poverty line in Malawi has dropped to 50% this year from 52% in 2004 and 54% in 1998. The research experts sampled about 5,400 households in the country.

Recently in the same paper we were told that Malawi had impressed the International Monetary Fund-IMF with its recent economic performance. While this may be good news, I would be slow in celebrating. There could be improvements economically but certainly rationalizing that because families were now living on more than a dollar a day is a sign of decreased poverty is taking a risk of reductionism. True economic growth in Malawi would be seen by the spending and saving power of the middle class. So to be told of how good Malawi's economy is from a governmental official makes me skeptical. I would rather hear this good news from my grandmother who would know better as to what it means to enjoy a life of reduced poverty.

No comments: